Font size: +

Nissim and His Pupik

Last Monday Nissim had day surgery.

Since we can remember Nizo has had a hernia belly button (pupik). It was time for it to go.

When we arrived at 6.50am I warned every nurse and doctor that Nissim was afraid of them, doctor 'tools', stickers and pretty much everything to do with the hospital environment. EVERYONE was respectful and careful with him. I was happily surprised.

Nissim did protest about a few things, such as having the sticker on his hand, he didn't mind having the cream on (to numb the area for a drip), but hates having anything sticky on his body or clothing, so he made a little bit of a fuss. The nurse was strong and quick to get it on.

The morning progressed slowly with doctors and nurses asking Nissim questions over about a 2 hour period, all done quietly and carefully. Then it was time to 'go in'. . The surgeons were lovely, they told Nissim that the room with the big lights was where the Wiggles film their shows and that they were in fact a bunch of blue wiggles. Nissim was curiously cautious. Nissim told everyone in the room that in actual fact the Blue Wiggle is 'Anthony'! They were all interested and lovely!

When the surgery was done (about 30mins or less later) I could hear him crying down the hall way to where I was waiting, I ran to him.

He was delirious, they gave him strong pain relief to calm him down. It made a difference.

One very wise nurse, whom must have been working there for a long time, offered Nissim an icy-pole! He was lethargically impressed. She went away to check what colours they had and returned to ask him which one he wanted, white, green or orange.. He replied "Orange". He then spent the next half an hour or so eating it in a daze. He was so cute.

Tova spent the morning with Savta Debbie reading and playing.

Yuval went to work.

Saba Coby visited Nissim and me in the hospital just before we were discharged at about mid day. Ten Minutes after Nissim and I got home Aba arrived. Nissim spent the rest of the day on his Thomas couch eating bagels and watching TV.
For the next couple of days he wouldn't bend properly to pick things up so we all helped him. I think he liked having everyone do everything for him.

It was an interesting experience having the strong baby as the patient.

Tonight, a week later, Yuval took the dressing off. Nissim freaked out as it hurt to rip the waterproof dressing off. Poor bubba. After wanting me to hold him for 30mins he went to bed and fell into a deep sleep. He has also been at creche today, making him very tired.

Tova has been eating well.

She had a ear ache on Thursday night that hurt her so much that even panadol didn't help, she cried loudly and in such a way that we knew it was due to pain. We managed to not go to hospital, which is lovely! She had no fever, and was breathing normally! The next morning I took her to the GP who said that something (ear drum?) was building up pressure causing loads of pain, and once that burst the pain all went.  He put her on Antibiotics to make sure no infection happens! She is happy and well.

Tova is about 9.7kg and feels heavy to carry! She is still a tiny little spot and next to Nissim, she looks so very small. They are really enjoying hugging each other at the moment, both smile from ear to ear, it seriously is one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

Nice and Quiet
The Same Size